Thursday, November 18, 2010

Can't stop making stuff up.

As you know I'm roughly halfway done with the novel I'm currently working on, but already my brain wants me to write other things. I had a dream last night that was too awesome not to include in other stories, but definitely doesn't have a place in Citadel. I blame watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.


Damn this awesomely insane show. I don't even like mecha. I barely even like anime.


Most of my stories are begun by dreams. Usually this is a bad and cliche thing, but I'll roll with it. Citadel was started when I had a dream about an enormous black building that was so high, it reached the clouds. A few months ago, my subconscious decided it wanted to torture me with another storyline and gave it to me in dream form as well. It's a double-edged sword, much like Spiderman's powers.




This is my gift... AND MY CUUUUUUURSE!!

The dream I had a few months ago went like this: There was a girl who lived in an enormous city on the water's edge in the jungle, which was somewhat futuristic and somewhat steampunk. I wish I could describe it better with fewer words, because it was awesome. She had a collar around her neck that she had since she could remember. Her friend helped her remove it, and she transformed into a crane. All hell broke lose, because her kind, those who could shapeshift, had been controlled by the government. The dream ended when she began to plan a revolution.

I wanted to finish my first story, so I wrote it down along with half of a beginning chapter and put it away. Then, last night, my subconscious told me "Fuck that noise" and gave me more. This time it was about an enormous zeppelin that could go into space. Once again I blame watching Tengen Toppa right before bed for the space thing, but the rest of it could be appropriate. Hell, maybe space will be included. Sci-fi isn't my forte, but it's pretty cool, right?

So now, when I'm so close to being finished with my first novel, I'm itching to write the second. It sucks, because I'm churning with ideas for the new story and I feel like I couldn't write my first one now even if I tried. My brain is just too stuck on steampunk and race-class revolutions and magic in sci-fi.


I also blame this sadly underrated movie. DAMN YOU ATLANTIS.

I'm wondering what I should do tonight. Thursday is my Write Like a Fiend night, so I'm torn between working on Citadel and working on the new one. If I work on Citadel, I would be that much closer to finishing it but it wouldn't be nearly as good for the mindset I'm in now. If I work on the new one, it would be pretty damn good by my standards but it'll feel like I'm putting off what I've worked so hard on. Writing is awesome and sucks at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment