Monday, November 22, 2010

Inspirational post from a cynic.

Yesterday my friend asked me a good question. It was: "Do you really, truly think that anyone, as far as the Western world is concerned, can do anything they really want to?" I said yes, and he told me that was good, because according to everyone he knows, by the time you reach your mid-20s you've given up on those dreams of becoming a rock star that juggles chain saw guitars or an astropaleantologist. Your life is now an endless, unescapable monotony, so why start something good now?

If you think about it, if you live in a first-world country, you really can do anything you want, as long as you try hard enough. Want to become an artist, but suck at art? Study art, take art classes, and practice, practice, practice. Want to be an astrophysicist, but aren't good at math? There are plenty of books and free resources that help sharpen your abilities. Want to be a mime? Wait, why the fuck do you want to be a mime? Do you want the shit beaten out of you on a daily basis?



I'm really down on myself a lot. I believe that my art sucks, my writing sucks, and everything that I do sucks. Then again, talent in most people besides freakish brain children isn't something that they're just born with. Talent is preserverance. Talent is practice, patience, a little bit of natural inclination, and a dash of fairy dust.

Most of the time I'll look at my art or writing and feel like it's the worst thing ever. Like, worse than Hitler 2. But you know, there are people out there that are worse, and successful. You know why? Because they kept trying and didn't give in to self-doubt.


There's no need to give up on your dreams. Would J.K. Rowling still be richer than God if she said, "Well, I'm a single mother on welfare. This is fine I guess." Would the Wright brothers have invented one of the single most important machines of human history if they listened to the critics laughing at their idea of flying through the air? Would man have discovered fire if they didn't keep banging those sticks and rocks together? Probably not.

Then again, you should still listen to those critics. Some are out to bring you down, while some serve as a good reference point against your flaws. These people will help you master your art and help you improve, so those others that are bringing you down will STFU.

The world is a cold, unsympathetic place. Why let it win? Punch it in the goddamn face. Kick it hard in the throat and scream, "SHUT UP, I just did what I wanted, bitch!" while in huddles in a fetal position and cries. As you leave it to its pain, grasping its choking throat, slide your sunglasses over your eyes and turn dramatically in the sunset, flicking your still-lit cigarette into its eye.


Just do what you want to do. You're going to die someday and the sun is going to explode, and the universe will finally collapse upon itself and wipe out every remnant of everything you ever knew and ever existed. Might as well have fun with it, and do what you want. Besides, you know, become Hitler 2 or something.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post.
    I regularly give the world a swift kick in the balls. Random surprise attacks are always fun as well.

    "Let's see... today I'm going to... JUMP OUT OF A PERFECTLY FUNCTIONING AIRPLANE JUST CAUSE I CAN! And there is nothing you can do about it! Haha!"
    *kick*

    (dramatic re-inactment of an actual event)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no reason why you can't do what you want to do. If there's something you CAN'T do, then that's only because you didn't work hard enough to get there right away. But there's plenty of time to get there. For example, my dream career is to be a cosmetic surgeon. I don't say I couldn't do it because the opportunity wasn't there, I just accept that I can't do it because I'm a lazy bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there are some things that can't happen just because you want it to happen, but that's because it defies the laws of nature/physics. But dreams for careers and shit, yeah it can happen if you put enough blood sweat and tears into that beast.

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete