Thursday, December 16, 2010

Finals = over!

So after lots of stress, getting things done last-minute, projects, papers, presentations, and wanting to jump off a bridge, I am done with finals! I've only taken 12 hours this semester, and it has been far more stressful than any other semester so far (even my 21 hour one). I think it was just the mere workload of the classes, since they were all senior level:

Art History (1450-1750): I love art history, but I found this class much harder than my Impressionist/Post-Impressionist and Modern Art class. I think it's because religious art bores me. Plus, the papers and exams were rough. I do have a newfound love for Baroque Dutch art, however.

Water Media: My watercolor class. Oh, I know, sounds like fun, painting with watercolors all day. It is fun, and I've discovered my niche, but this class was demanding. You have to paint several watercolors everyday, as well as finish an enormous final project at the end. Still fun, though.

Area Studies: This class is kind of like an independent work class that meets a few times during the semester for critiques. They absolutely hammer you and don't hold back. I came back after every critique in tears, never wanting to paint again. However, it really pushed my boundaries and I had a positive critique at the end, which was rather satisfying.

Graphics Practicum: My graphics internship. I interned under a wonderful lady that runs the student activities and organizations, where I did posters, pamphlets, t-shirt designs, website updates, cards, and more. There was always lots to do, but it helped me realize my strengths and weaknesses and improve upon them. In addition to the actual internship work, I had to write a brief essay and keep work logs every two weeks. At the end, I had to write a 5-page summary essay, do a presentation on the internship, and lots more to hand in.


Next semester will finally, definitely be my last. That makes for me being in college for five years, which kind of sucks but I guess isn't so bad when I changed my major 4 times (Political Science to Biology to Chemistry to finally Graphic Design/Fine Arts) and transferred from WVU to a smaller university in my hometown. Plus, I have a minor in Spanish, and foreign language minors tend to require several classes.

I want to just be done with academia, but now I am seriously considering undertaking grad school. Of all things, for a Master's in Art History. I know, sounds as useful as a doctorate in Underwater Basket Weaving, but I've always wanted to say I had a Master's degree. Also, the coolest professor I know is my art history teacher, who is the smartest woman in the world and knows everything ever about art. I want a Master's in Art History so I also have the ability to teach undergraduates on a university level, as well as have the opportunity to be a curator. I'm already picking up a second class (Gallery Management) so I can have a minor in art history.

Well, I'm going to go nurse this migraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment