Monday, October 18, 2010

Portraits and cupcakes.

Here's the portrait that I did today in Watercolor. Again, not great because I was working from a photo rather than an actual person, but I kind of like the way she turned out. I wish I had more time or I would've actually done her neck instead of a vague outline.


Anyway, I haven't posted in a few days because of how exhausting work was over the weekend, plus I screwed up my arm again. Back in June I hurt my shoulder from catching a heavy box from up high falling at my face, and I keep screwing it up every couple of weeks. I went to the doctor for it and he told me "Sorry, can't do anything! Here's some painkillers. Now go away." My left arm is more or less useless, because it's so blindingly painful that I can't really lift it.

As you know, I work midnights as a waitress. For the longest time, we had a cop that would do duty in the restaurant, staying from 12AM-4AM, which was great for deterring retarded drunks. Now that we have a new GM, we don't have a cop anymore and it's been bad. Really bad. We're getting tables trying to fight with each other, people ruining the sugar caddies in a drunken rage, and dudes asking me for a beej. I used to love midnights because I am a true night owl, but now it's awful because alcohol turns so many people into raging savages. Ugh.

Yesterday, I had a hankering for cupcakes and decided to create a tasty autumnesque creation. I found a way to make cupcakes slightly healthier and they are delicious! I took a box of cinnamon cake mix, mixed in an entire can of pumpkin, put whipped icing with sprinkles and cinnamon sugar on top, and created some delicious cupcakes. They taste somewhat like pumpkin bread, but lighter and more cinnamon-y, and they're less chock full of calories. Try it out if you like pumpkin.

I'm thinking about putting an excerpt from my first chapter on here for people to read and let me know what they think. My friend Michael has read six chapters so far, so he's been a huge help along with Sean, and I'd like to expand a little to see if the story is interesting enough. Would anyone be interested in such a thing?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you might have the same injury I did :( Ask for an MRI with contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcake thing made me hungry...Now I want a cupcake.

    http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're really easy to make! Just take any cake mix and throw in a can of pumpkin. It'll double the amount of cupcakes, but is there really such a thing as too many cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excerpt! Excerpt!

    http://thedaniquechronicles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete